Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A possibly transformative experience

It occurs to me, as I sit here most of this day and every other day in front of my computer reading tweets and blog entries and newspaper articles and exchanging email with friends, that my life on board the Amsterdam next January will be very different. For one thing, there will not be internet connectivity in my stateroom, so I'll have to go out in public to connect. For another, connections will cost money -- $100 for 250 minutes, an amount of time I easily use up every day at present. For a third, every evening another issue of the Holland America Line Explorer will be pushed under my door, telling me about all the possibilities for the next day which do not require electronic media.

So in one sense my "world cruise" will be like going into rehab for computer addiction. I'll come back with a taste for neatness and order and orientation toward the world outside my condo. Or I'll come back grumpy and disheveled, resentful of that danged boat that kept me from posting to my blog and continuing Lexulous games with my friends. Or both. I'm a Gemini, I contain multitudes.

No comments:

Post a Comment