Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Advantages of ocean travel by boat

1. No jet lag. You cross time zones at a civilized pace with which your internal clock can easily keep pace.
2. If the medium through which you are traveling decides to become uncooperative, you can see it -- big waves towering over the boat in Hollywood disaster movie fashion. My ex-husband assures me that, even in the Caribbean, a cruise ship that encounters the tail end of a hurricane is dwarfed by the size of the waves. If you're on an airplane, "turbulence" gives you no clue that you're about to be tossed about. It also gives no clue to the pilot, who relies on weather forecasts to know that things are about to get a bit bumpy. True, there are no icebergs in the air, but then, on the other hand, given that we'll be cruising around Antarctica for three days watching icebergs float by us, that is not an unalloyed disadvantage.
3. Good food. Once I get going on my cruise (in 452 days, 18 minutes, 25 seconds, according to the app on my Android smartphone), I shall regale you with tales of what we're being fed, and you can compare that for yourself with what you would get on an airplane.
4. I'll be able move around without clambering over people. I've got these fantasies of walking several times around the lower promenade deck each day to partially counteract the results of point #3 above. Even just getting from cabin to dining room on the ship requires more actual physical activity than is possible on an airplane.
5. My own bathroom, in which I expect I will be able to turn around without advance strategic planning.
6. Amusements that go beyond six-inch screens you have to pay exorbitant amounts to watch.

And these are only the first six things that occur to me on a Sunday afternoon 452 days, 10 minutes, 55 seconds away from departure.

I think I may have at least as much fun being smug about going on this cruise as I will have actually being on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment