Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First cruise dream

It's 456 days, 5 hours, 58 minutes until my cruise begins*, and I've had my first cruise dream. I think it was a fairly standard anxiety dream taking cruise form -- we were going from our pre-cruise hotel to the ship, and I had to pack. I was stuffing things into my suitcase and another suitcase of uncertain provenance, not choosing what to take and what to leave behind because somehow I thought they'd keep the hotel room for me until we got back. It was snowing -- we seemed to be leaving from Seattle. The roof of my hotel room was leaking. A fellow traveler had confided her hopes of romance with someone I didn't know. The suitcases were moved out to the bus. I found I had failed to pack a little wooden cubic box containing go stones, and I wandered around looking for someone with spare room in their suitcase. We got on board. The boat left the dock, leaving behind it a wake like a speedboat. I realized my camera was in my suitcase, but I was so elated, I didn't care that I was missing pictures of The Departure.

I apologize to anyone reading this. Other people's dreams, unless one is a psychiatrist and is paid listen to them, tend to be rather uninteresting. But this seemed a Significant Milestone in my progress toward January 6, 2012, and I don't want to forget it. Even if it probably had nothing whatsoever to do with the cruise. I won't afflict my readers with any more dream narratives unless the dream itself clearly predicts the end of the world.

*Courtesy of my Android phone "Days Until" app.

3 comments:

  1. I'd agree, the standard anxiety dream, because you so want the cruise to be wonderful. And it will be. Face it, Holland America would NEVER allow you to be in a hotel with a leaky roof! It never (rarely?) snows in Ft Lauderdale. But explain to those of us who don't know, what are "go stones"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go stones are the white and black pieces used in the strategy game called "go" in Japan. It has different names in Kora and China, where it is also played. It's strategically more complex than chess, but mechanically simpler -- great game!

    And I don't think I'm anxious about the cruise. I think I'm anxious about dispatching and Russian class, separately and together, and I'm feeding the feeling into the cruise imagery. My dreams always seem to be about something other than what they seem to be about, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounded very egocentric. Everybody's dreams are about something other than what they seem to be about, forcing Freud to caution Freudian dream interpreters, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

    ReplyDelete