Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

unexpected details

While poking around on the Web for information about world cruises, I came across one blog entry from 2006 that reported their ship being covered in ice as they cruised near Antarctica, closing the decks for passenger use. It was in February (when my cruise will be near Antarctica). Somehow, I was thinking "February, but southern hemisphere -- it will be summer!". I guess when you get that far away from the equator, summer is a relative term.

When I rode the TransSiberian Railroad with Elderhostel a couple years ago, we crossed Siberia, but at the way southern side of it. My idea of summer in Siberia is 75 degree sunny days, blooming flowers, and ripe produce. Probably if the tracks had gone through Yakutsk instead of Irkutsk, I'd have a more realistic idea of summer in the higher latitudes. Or is it longitudes? I need to get those straightened out.

The same blog entry reported that the ship's itinerary changed due to "security concerns in the western Indian Ocean". So I guess they will do their best to protect us from pirates. Pirates. Argh, matey!

This is going to be a real adventure. How will I survive the next 16 months?

No comments:

Post a Comment