Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

How to find me

My friend Pat Moore, who is covering my TIP dispatch shifts while I'm away, asked whether there's any way to follow the Amsterdam. Turns out there is. Go to www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=PBAD. It will show you a map of where we are at specific times of day, probably in GMT. I didn't get a chance to do much exploring of the site, but where it shows on the website is pretty much where it shows on Channel 40, which reports our position, course, speed, ship's time (for one stretch coming across the Pacific, we set clocks back an hour five nights in a row to get from Easter Island, which keeps Chilean time, to Tahiti, so that's not as dumb as it may seem), current weather, and a series of maps of various resolutions showing planned and actual course.

But I babble. Try that website to figure out where I am.

3 comments:

  1. Nice; you have a "personal" GPS tracker :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that! Thank you Pat M for suggesting that we'd all like to know where Roberta is these days! I'll be checking that site often, watching the Amsterdam's movements.
    By the way, did you know what the initials in front of the ship mean? "MS" is "motor ship" meaning it's diesel, and "SS" means steamship. HMS is His/Her Majesty Ship. Just another bit of trivia that means nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! We will be tracking you on our school map :)

    ReplyDelete