Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

Pirates #1

We're in the Straits of Malacca, a narrow passage between the Indonesian island of Sumatra to the south and Malaysia to the north. This used to be prime pirate territory because all shipping between India and China had to pass through here or take a much longer route around the other side of Sumatra.

One of the housekeeping crew is from northern Sumatra. I asked him whether there are still pirates, and he reassured me. "There were pirates until recently when Indonesia and Malaysia got their navies coordinated to eliminate them. Don't worry, Roberta. Even if there are pirates, I will be here to protect you."

He's a big guy, so I imagine he'd be pretty good protection. Besides which, I can't remember the last time a man offered to protect me, and I am charmed.

1 comment: