Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Entering the Gulf of Aden

So here I sit on deck, assuming that the warm, moist air will be good for my cold, which is a weird turn of phrase, since I mean good for my health and bad for the cold. Temperature is in the upper 70s, sky is clear, ocean is calm -- friendly little sparkly ripples glitter in the sun, but no swells and only a light breeze.

And we've just entered the Gulf of Aden, right between Somalia (pirates) and Yemen (Islamic radicals). It's a major shipping route, so container ships have begun parading across the horizon between me and Somalia. From where I sit (or, more accurately, from where I recline) I can see three Amsterdam security officers studying the horizon. The sun gleams off curls of razor wire visible from the deck. I have completed the easy sudoku and gotten stuck on the hard one. Why does having a stuffed up head physically make my brain sluggish? I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment