Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reality looms

"Remember to send me a grocery list," my daughter Lizz texts me. Grocery list? Oh, right, I will need to feed myself, starting Sunday.

"Do you want me to extend the temporary insurance coverage I have on your car for the day after you get back?" Car insurance. Oh, yeah, that.

For four months, I have been totally taken care of, and in five days, I will be my responsibility again. I am not complaining, I prefer to be the one doing that, but my instincts are rusty. What do I eat when I can't take the elevator to the Lido? What other normal adult responsibilities besides car insurance have I not thought about since early January? I know I'll need to file my taxes -- I filed for an extension, but they do need to be done relatively soon. But if Lizz hadn't reminded me about the car insurance, I wouldn't have remembered.

I think I will just trust the combination of Lizz and cold hard reality. It's six hours earlier in Portland than currently on board the Amsterdam, I'll be waking up way early and can spend the extra time remembering how to be a grownup.

2 comments:

  1. Roberta - I just have to tell you how much I have enjoyed your posts!!!! I have read everyone and lived vicariously through your adventures. I cannot believe 4 months have gone by!!!! Looking forward to seeing you.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also enjoyed the blogs, loved knowing the wonders of the world and of shipboard life through your eyes.
    That having been said, however, I'm sure looking forward to having you home. We've all missed you!

    ReplyDelete