Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

Final night

Tomorrow we disembark, a graceless word for a sad process that Holland America will have organized to a faretheewell. They have to. They need to move around 800 of us passengers off by around 10:30 amin order to start moving 1350 new passengers on board at 11:30.for a trip through the Panama Canal. (I could have extended my trip for three weeks and gotten off in Seattle, but it's really time to be going home.) About half the 600 crew members will also leave the Amsterdam tomorrow to be replaced by new folks, who must be both moved on board and integrated into ship procedures in time to set metaphorical sail tomorrow evening.

Only the Dutch could manage to make all that happen and stay essentially human, God bless them.

I said a reluctant goodbye to the ocean, watching the waves after supper until it was too dark to see them, and even then I staying on deck because I could still hear the water sloshing past the ship. We're only 121.7 nautical miles out of Ft. Lauderdale with calm seas and following winds. By dawn tomorrow we'll be docked.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along -- I've been following a couple of different blogs from this voyage, and your posts have offered up some unique perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. Thanks for taking us along on your journey! Yours is the first blog I've truly followed, looking forward to the updates as they came in :-)

    Safe travels home, Roberta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the time you read this, you will be not only ashore, but on the plane ride HOME. Lizz and Ochi await you, well.... maybe more Lizz than Ochi, who will be just a little peeved for a while. Welcome back to the USA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have enjoyed your unique perspective of this cruise. Thank you Roberta. On our next cruise I will think of you as I sit on the balcony watching the ocean glide by.
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed your blog. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete