Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cautious Australia

We're still three days away from Australia, but we're undergoing the third set of procedures related to clearing us for arrival.

The first was the acquisition of an ETA, which, if I remember correctly, stands for Electronic Travelers' Authorization. You fill out a form online, authorize payment via credit card, and you're done. Following a recommendation in an online forum, I managed to get the whole process done for $10.99. It costs $35 if you do it onboard, though I don't think Holland America is making any money on it.

The second was delivered to my stateroom* about a week ago. It was a set of two questionnaires, one about arrival ("Are you bringing any plants into Australia? Are you transporting more than $10,000 in Australian dollars into the country? How long will you be in Australia? ", etc.) and one about departure ("Are you taking any plants out of Australia? Are you taking more than $10,000 in Australian dollars out of the country? On what day will you be leaving Australia? ", etc.) with dated signatures on each.

And today each passenger must appear in person before Australian immigration officials who came on board in Samoa. We must appear with our passports, which have been in Holland America's keeping since we boarded in Florida. So we have been assigned group numbers (mine is 16) and numbers will be called over the PA system, not in order. When they call "16", I will proceed up to a room on Deck 5. As I enter, I will be handed my passport, the Australian Immigration folks will decide whether I am indeed that person and whether they want to let me in, then, assuming a happy outcome, I will exit the room, handing my passport back to Holland America, and proceed with my day.

The interesting question is what happens if the Aussies find someone they don't like. Does ms Amsterdam have a brig? Do they clap you in irons? Will we get to see armed Australian police march on board at Sydney to remove the miscreant? And what if there's an international incident where the American government gets bent out of shape because one of its citizens was treated harshly?

I'd better get this posted quickly before they call "16". I don't think there's anything Australia could object to about me, but you never know.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I blame them for screening new arrivals. After all, once they were the dumping ground for all sorts of criminals (their ancestors), and they sure don't want any more of that. I do hope you pass muster!
    Can't wait to hear your take on the opera house! I don't remember which opera you are going to see, but hope it's wonderous.

    ReplyDelete