Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Stormy weather

It should, I suppose, inspire confidence when the Captain apologizes 24 hours in advance for the bad weather we'll be running into as we sail from Antarctica to Ushuaia, Argentina. "20-foot swells and 50-knot winds", he said over the PA, to which someone near where I was sitting scoffed, "On my last trip around the Horn, we had 35-foot swells and 75-knot winds." My fellow passengers immediately began exchanging stories.

"One man I know spent the whole storm in fetal position on the floor of his cabin."

"What you need to do is make inside-out loops of duct tape and stick all your drawers closed so they don't slam open and spill everything when the ship rolls."

"Be sure not to have an empty stomach, that makes the seasickness worse."

"Remember those photos of the ships that got their fronts torn off by storm waves?"

"It's all mental. I keep a positive attitude, and I never get sick."

One thing I am learning on this cruise (among many) is that the confidence with which an opinion is stated has zero correlation with the reliability of the information conveyed. Some time tonight we will sail into relatively stormy weather, which will peak mid-morning tomorrow. Most likely we won't sink. Stay tuned for my version.

1 comment:

  1. Wait - and you're doing this for fun???

    Stay safe. And warm. And not green. :)

    ReplyDelete