Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Samoan miscellaneous

1. I did go back ashore after helping Sue to her stateroom. And the rain that had been threatening finally fell, soaking me to the skin. I have now officially been Soaked in a Tropical Downpour. You may kiss my ring.
2. Every time we leave a port, there is a Sail Away party on deck featuring a drink special for only $5.95 plus 15% service charge. This afternoon, for the first time, I decided to go and watch Samoa fade into the horizon. The event was a bit tattered -- the same nautical flags they string up for every other Sail Away party, and the recorded music was more Caribbean than South Seas -- but I figured what the hell and blew $5.95 plus 15% on a Tropical Lime Splash, which seemed to consist of a smashed lemon wedge, a jigger of banana rum, and some cranberry juice with a lot of ice. It tasted OK, and I found an empty deck chair from which to watch Samoa go by. I have now officially taken part in a Sail Away party. I feel more satisfaction in having gotten Soaked in a Tropical Downpour, but that's just me.
3. The CEO of Holland America came on board at Pago Pago and will travel with us to Sydney. The gossip mills are working overtime with details of his arrival, luggage, schedule, and personal qualities. I am just glad to be sufficiently humble that it probably won't affect me one way or another.
4. Thanks to the itinerary revision, we will not lose Mardi Gras when we cross the International Date Line tonight. Instead, we will go to bed tonight on Sunday evening and wake up tomorrow on Tuesday morning. I know I understand why this happens, but it still creeps me out just a wee tad. Where will my Monday go? Maybe someone traveling eastward will get it. I hope they have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that you missed Samoa and the mystique that we all think of when we think "Samoa". I had hoped it would be as exotic and beautiful as you might have expected. Likely more time would have been needed there, to experience that.
    I was hoping you'd be able to see Samoan dancers, as I remember them from a production in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete