Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

I stand corrected

In defending my sightings of flying fish, I said that, since we are waaaay out here in the middle of a very big ocean, the likelihood of birds was vanishingly small. Well, scratch that. Two definite birds flew over as I sat on the deck admiring the ocean. They weren't what I was seeing as flying fish. For one thing they were much bigger, and for another, they were flying over, not beside the ship. They had longer wings than gulls with a bend halfway along, and they kept aloft with what I can only describe as leisurely flaps of those long wings. At the noontime report from the Captain, he said we'll be passing Henderson and Pitcairn Islands over the next day, so the birds wouldn't have to make it back to Easter Island to touch down. It was very good to see them.

1 comment:

  1. Ask around ...... are you seeing albatross? Also called goonie birds because they land very awkwardly. I know they're common near Guam, but no idea if they might be where you are.

    ReplyDelete