Search This Blog

Friday, February 3, 2012

Landsickness

I had been at sea for five days when we docked here at Ushuaia, Argentina, which proudly bills itself as the end of the world. We are allowed to walk from the ship to the downtown area, only a few blocks, and it seemed like a pleasant way to spend the morning, so off I went with a friend, Connie from Michigan. I was barely off the ship when I started to feel light-headed, woozy, even a little nauseous. "Must be the fuel fumes," Connie suggested, which made sense, since the Amsterdam was refueling with the heavier weight diesel forbidden in Antarctica. But the effect persisted as we walked into town. If we hadn't been at sea level, I would have suspected altitude sickness -- same general malaise and dizziness.

Apparently one can get landsick just as one can get seasick. Some constellation of internal meters gets used to slightly unsteady floors and ceilings overhead, and an unmoving surface under foot and endlessly open sky above discombobulates it. Pride (in not getting seasick in a Force 9 gale) goeth before a fall (or an almost fall as I staggered along the fiendishly steady sidewalks at the end of the world). If we weren't leaving at noon, I would be tempted to go ashore again to see how long it persists.

Five sea days before Easter Island, if the seas allow us to land there. I have signed up for an excursion. I hope they walk slowly.

3 comments:

  1. "Dock Rock" can easily last a day ... but usually not much longer than that. At least that's been our experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know . . . I once took a week cruise and for a month afterward, walked like I was on a ship. Never got sick, though. Enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used to say he could easily get his "sea legs", but it took a day or so to get his "land legs". You're experiencing a common thing. Since you're only on land for a couple of days at most, it could be something you'll just have to account for.

    ReplyDelete