Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Quotes

Each passenger got a gift Antarctica journal full of information and maps and space to make notes of whatever one might feel moved to make notes about. The notes pages are each headed by Antarctica-related quotations. Here are two of my favorites.

"To anyone who goes to Antarctica, there is a tremendous appeal, an unparalleled combination of grandeur, beauty, vastness, loneliness, and malevolent -- all of which sound tremendously melodramatic -- but which truthfully convey the actual feeling of Antarctica. " -- Captain T. L. M. Sunter

"I am the Albatross
That waits for you
At the end of the earth.
I am the forgotten soul
Of the dead sailors
Who crossed Cape Horn
From all the seas of the world
But they did not die in
The furious waves.
Today they fly on my
Wings to eternity
In the last trough of the
Antarctic winds." -- Sara Vial, 1993

1 comment:

  1. One of my all time favorite quotes is the one by Robert Cushman Murphy on the occasion of sighting his first Wandering Albatross: "I now belong to a higher cult of mortals, for I have seen the Albatross."

    ReplyDelete